Monday, May 14, 2012

Pre-made Food

I dont always have time to make my hermies fresh food, so it is always nice to have food that I can throw right in the food dish and be ready for the crabs to devour. However, most commercial foods at petstores have ethoxyquin, a harmful preservative that is NOT safe for hermit crabs. So what pre-made food can I feed my hermit crabs that will not be harmful to them?

There are some alternatives to commercial food that is pre-made, and not toxic to your crab. Here are a few options:

1.) You may order pre-made food mixes on the internet. There are many websites that sell hermit crab food mixes. One example of this is The Hermit Crab Patch. I have had a wonderful expierience with this website; good customer service, fast shipping, and very fair prices. There are also many choices for specific species, mineral supplements, and really fun mixes. I own quite a few of these, and my hermies always clean the food dish of them. There are many other shops online that sell hermit crab mixes such as Crabotanicals on Etsy, and the Hermit Crab Addiction Store.

2.) You can make your own Pre-made hermit crab mixes. Food dehydrators are not too expensive, and eventually pay for themselves by drying out your own food and storing them in ziploc baggies to give to your crabs for a meal. It is fun to make your own custom creation to give to your crabs. You can really have fun with it :) Make sure that before you dehydrate a certain food item and put it into your own custom mix that that item is safe for hermit crabs. One informative blog for this is Hermit Crab Cuisine. It is the website that I use to make sure that what I am feeding to the colony is safe to eat.

Hopefully you can figure out which one of these options is right for you and can be on your way to safe and delicious meals for your hermit crab family.

No comments:

Post a Comment