Monday, May 14, 2012

Adding a Second Level


A really cool way to spruce up your crabitat and increase entertainment for your hermies is to add a second level. There are many options to do this, and all of them are fairly easy!

1.) Nets! You may order nets online that people have knitted themselves. Othewise, for a more cost friendly option, you can knit nets yourself. There are many article on the web that have instructions to do so. Make sure that the yarn you use is un-died, most preferably hemp string. Just attack suction cups with hooks on each side, put it in the tank and you have a fun new area for your crabs to climb on.

2.)Magnaturals or turtle docks. Turtle docks, as they sound are used for turtles to sit on outside of the water. These are often times used as a second level for hermit crabs. Magnaturals are basically turtle docks, but have high-powered magnets on the back, and magnets that go outside of the tank. This is a more expensive route, but you will not neeed to worry about them falling/not having enough support to hold on to the crabs. Just put some choya wood or a net as a ladder up to the dock/magnatural, and you are good to go!

3.) Shower Caddies. Usually used to hold items in your shower, many crabbers fill these up with moss. The hermit crabs love being able to nestle in some moss. This is a quite inexpensive route, but will not give you as natural as a look as some prefer. You can pick up shower caddies at wal-mart, the hardware store, etc.

4.) Reptile Hammocks. These are triangle shaped pieces of fabric that have three suction cups at each corner, there for you can only put these in the corner of your crabitat walls. Personally, I do not prefer this bright green look, and the moss you put inside can get quite messy. They are not cheap, but at the same time not very expensive. You can buy these at the petshop.

5.) Office Supply Baskets. Once again, not the most natural look, but not too bad. I had this as my second level for a while. I took some green office supply baskets, put suction cuts on them, filled them with moss and put them in the crabitat. I also connected two of them with choya wood, and then of course a peice of choya that was at the ground so the crabs could go up and down. It was very inexpensive, but like I said not very natural looking, and made my crabitat look messy because everytime a crab went through the basket, he/she knocked down moss. This is just an alternative to a crabber who wants a second level, but not the big price tag.

I guess that second levels have been on my mind because I have been working on a few levels in my crabitat too. I believe that I am going to go with the Magnatural, net, and choya wood look, because it looks the most natural. I am very excited to get my second level in the crabitat. I think the crabs will just love it! Second levels are great for crabitats big and small. Which crabber doesnt want more space for their hermies to explore and enjoy? I hope this was helpful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment